By B. Collins
This name matters mans touch with the animal global: sacrifice, sacred animals, vitamin, and domestication. Chapters on artwork, literature, faith and animal husbandry display an image of the advanced relationships among the peoples of the traditional close to East and (their) animals.
A reference advisor and key to the menagerie of the traditional close to East, with plentiful unique illustrations.
Read Online or Download A History of the Animal World in the Ancient Near East PDF
Similar zoology books
This long-awaited access into the Vertebrate Biology industry has been praised for its student-friendly writing variety. The textual content includes many pedagogical aids for college students together with boldface key words all through and a complete thesaurus. End-of-chapter pedagogy incorporates a record of supplemental readings, an inventory of comparable websites, and bankruptcy evaluation questions.
In photos and easy textual content, describes the big variety of sounds made through animals within the zoo.
This hugely useful e-book, and successor to quantity thirteen within the Laboratory options sequence, explores additional and offers extra finished, autoritative details at the construction of Mabs. a lot new and illuminating fabric has been incorporated masking the thoughts in the back of the applying of recombinant DNA expertise and biosensor expertise to monoclonal antibodies, and the entire human Mab know-how facilitated by way of PCR of antibody genes.
- Animal Cell Culture
- Marine Ecology: Concepts and Applications
- Introduction to Ethology
- Stray Feathers: Reflections on the Structure, Behaviour and Evolution of Birds
- A Photographic Guide to Sea Fishes of Southern Africa
- Tagging and Tracking of Marine Animals with Electronic Devices
Extra resources for A History of the Animal World in the Ancient Near East
The extinct aurochs (Bos primigenius), the likely source of all modern domestic cattle (B. taurus], once roamed open forests and grasslands from Europe and northern Africa to eastern Asia. The last captive one died in a Polish game park in 1627. Historical records indicate that bulls were exceptionally large with horns curving outward, then forward. In Europe, coat color was black with a light dorsal stripe, and the smaller cows were brownish to reddish, but Near Eastern cattle may have displayed more muted coloration.
At present, over 1700 species are recognized globally, though taxonomic uncertainties abound. The extremely narrow ecological requirements of many rodents give them an archaeological value well in excess of their generally diminutive size, for recovery of their remains often conveys useful information about paleoenvironmental conditions (Tchernov 1968). The distribution of small mammals in general is also highly sensitive to anthropogenic habitat modifications, for example, the retreat of the beaver (Castorfiber) as Near Eastern deforestation progressed during the past four millennia.
1. THE NATIVE FAUNA 7 Most desert species conserve water by excreting very dry feces and highly concentrated urine. Some, to be described later, are anatomically or physiologically specialized to survive the intense heat and aridity. Many invertebrates enter summer dormancy—or estivation—to wait out the life-threatening conditions. Insects of the arid zone appear to be extraordinarily resistant to the heat. Very little water escapes through their exoskeleton and tiny breathing tubes, yet some species tolerate ground and air temperatures above 40° G.
A History of the Animal World in the Ancient Near East by B. Collins